Smart & Final Secures Corporate Data and Reputation, as It Drives Rapid Retail Expansion
“Security is not an option for retailers. We hold the details of millions of customers’ credit cards; hacking those details can have a catastrophic impact on our corporate reputation. Check Point allows us to work smarter.”
— John Shi, Manager, Network and System Security Engineering, Smart & Final
Headquartered in Los Angeles, Smart & Final Stores, Inc. operates 330 grocery and foodservice stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho and Utah. It has an additional 15 stores in Northern Mexico operated through a joint venture. Like many retailers, the business is focused on price and customer service. Security is crucial, but IT resources are limited.
- Protect a growing retail presence from increasingly sophisticated professional hackers.
- Standardize firewall security across all stores, with the means to centralize visibility and management.
- Enable rapid roll-out of new stores, with minimal manual involvement.
- Reduce the strain on the small in-house IT team.
- Initially, Check Point 1180 Security Appliances to deliver centrally-managed, enterprise-class security.
- More recently, upgraded to Check Point 1430 Security Appliances, with all-in-one advanced threat prevention, flexible network connectivity and maximum port density.
- Tightens security in era of heightened threats to retailers, protecting revenue and corporate reputation.
- Enabled an inhouse team of two IT engineers to manage roll out of firewalls to up to 50 stores a week, with zero-touch installation.
“With Check Point, we can automate many of our security processes, letting the machines do the work,” said John Shi, Manager, Network and System Security Engineering, Smart & Final.
- Delivers standardized, centralized firewall management for 330 stores.
- Simplifies the process of opening new stores, allowing the business to be quicker to market.
- Four-year-old relationship with Check Point opens up roadmap of future security solutions. Plan to add SandBlast Zero-Day Protection to prevent unknown advanced threats.
- ‘Zero-touch’ configuration allows Smart & Final to deploy customer appliances without the need for an onsite technical resource, reducing time, effort, and cost.