Check Point® Software Technologies Ltd. (NASDAQ: CHKP), the largest pure-play security vendor globally, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015.
- Total Revenue: $373 million, representing a 9 percent increase year over year
- Non-GAAP Operating Income: $216 million, representing 58 percent of revenues
- Non-GAAP EPS: $0.95, representing a 14 percent increase year over year
- Deferred Revenues: $772 million, representing a 17 percent increase year over year
“We are very pleased with the results of the first quarter. We continued to see success in all major geographies and delivered 11 percent growth in combined product and software blade revenues,” said Gil Shwed, founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Check Point Software Technologies. “Our pace of innovation has accelerated with a focus on two key areas: threat prevention and mobility. So far this year we completed two acquisitions in both of these spaces and introduced Threat Extraction, an innovative and revolutionary technology in this category. In addition, we increased our development, sales and marketing teams to capitalize on the expanding security market opportunity. We expect these investments to continue through the coming quarters.”
Financial Highlights for the First Quarter of 2015:
- Total Revenue: $373 million, an increase of 9 percent, compared to $342 million in the first quarter of 2014.
- GAAP Operating Income: $197 million, an increase of 7 percent, compared to $184 million in the first quarter of 2014.
- Non-GAAP Operating Income: $216 million, an increase of 9 percent, compared to $198 million in the first quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP operating margin was 58 percent, same as in the first quarter of 2014.
- GAAP Net Income and Earnings per Diluted Share: GAAP net income was $161 million, an increase of 5 percent, compared to $153 million in the first quarter of 2014. GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.86, compared to $0.78 in the first quarter of 2014.
- Non-GAAP Net Income and Earnings per Diluted Share: Non-GAAP net income was $179 million, an increase of 9 percent, compared to $164 million in the first quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.95, an increase of 14 percent, compared to $0.84 in the first quarter of 2014.
- Deferred Revenues: As of March 31, 2015, deferred revenues were $772 million, an increase of 17 percent compared to $660 million as of March 31, 2014.
- Cash Flow: Cash flow from operations was $285 million, compared to $172 million in the first quarter of 2014. Net of costs incurred during the first quarter of 2015 related to the acquisition of Hyperwise, as well as tax transactions related to previous years in 2014, our cash flow from operations increased by 8 percent from $284 million in the first quarter of 2014 to $307 million in the first quarter of 2015.
- Share Repurchase Program: During the first quarter of 2015, the company repurchased 3.0 million shares at a total cost of $242 million, bringing the total share repurchase program to over $4 billion.
- Cash Balances, Marketable Securities and Short Term Deposits: $3,734 million as of March 31, 2015, compared to $3,662 million as of March 31, 2014.
For information regarding the Non-GAAP financial measures discussed in this release, as well as a reconciliation of such Non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures, please see “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” and “Reconciliation of GAAP to Non-GAAP Financial Information.”
Business Highlights 2015:
Threat Extraction – Internally developed new security approach that is designed to ensure documents are delivered to a network with zero malware in zero seconds. The technology preemptively removes potential threats from documents and reconstructs them as safe files before they are delivered to the user. Threat Extraction has achieved, so far, 100 percent threat removal capabilities with a fraction of the resources needed than existing technologies that achieve a much lower catch rate.
Lacoon Mobile Security Acquisition – An industry-leading mobile security provider delivering advanced threat protection for enterprise-grade mobile security platforms. The acquired technology further extends Check Point’s mobile security portfolio by adding advanced mobile application threat emulation, behavioral risk analysis and real-time anomaly detection capabilities to the Check Point Capsule mobile solution.
Hyperwise Acquisition – An early-stage company that developed a unique and cutting-edge CPU-level threat prevention engine that stops threats at the point of pre-infection. This exploit prevention technology provides a higher catch rate of threats and provides organizations with a new level of protection against attackers.
Check Point Stars Program – Check Point announced its new global partner program in January. This new program creates additional sales opportunities for partners, giving them resources to enable the acceleration of their Check Point sales revenue and the development of even closer business relationships.
Security Vulnerability Research:
Volatile Cedar – A persistent attacker group originating in Lebanon called Volatile Cedar, which uses a custom-made malware implant codenamed Explosive. Operating since early 2012, this campaign has successfully penetrated a large number of targets across the globe, during which time it has allowed the attackers to monitor victim’s actions and steal data.
Number One in Worldwide Firewall Equipment Market Share – Check Point led in the worldwide market share for Firewall Equipment for 2014, according to the Gartner Market Share: Enterprise Network Equipment by Market Segment, Worldwide reports.
Top Position in Worldwide Combined Firewall and UTM Appliance Market – Check Point continued to be the number one vendor in worldwide combined Firewall and UTM appliance revenue for 2014, according to the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Security Appliance Tracker.
CRN Channel Chief Award – Check Point President, Amnon Bar-Lev, was named one of CRN’s 2015 Channel Chiefs. This is the eighth year Mr. Bar-Lev has appeared on CRN’s prestigious list of the most powerful leaders in the IT channel. The CRN Channel Chief Award recognizes those executives directly responsible for driving channel sales and growth within their organization, while evangelizing the importance of the channel throughout the entire IT Industry.
“Worldwide organizations are faced with increasing levels of cyberthreats everyday including zero day malware on their network and mobile devices. We are committed to enabling our customers to utilize the maximum power of the internet while preserving the highest levels of cybersecurity.” Shwed concluded.
Second Quarter 2015 Investor Conference Participation Schedule:
- Jeffries 2015 Global Technology, Media and Telecom Conference
May 14, 2015 – Miami, FL
- J.P. Morgan 43rd Annual Technology, Media and Telecom Conference
May 19-20, 2015 – Boston, MA (Meetings Only)
- Cowen & Company 43rd Annual Technology Media & Telecom Conference
May 28, 2015 – New York, NY
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2014 Global Technology Conference
June 3-4, 2015 – San Francisco, CA (Meetings Only)
Members of Check Point’s management team will present at these conferences and discuss the latest company strategies and initiatives. Check Point’s conference presentations are expected to be available via webcast on the company’s web site. To view these presentations and access the most updated information please visit the company’s web site at www.checkpoint.com/ir. The schedule is subject to change.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Check Point will host a conference call with the investment community on April 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM ET/5:30 AM PT. To listen to the live webcast, please visit the website at: www.checkpoint.com/ir. A replay of the conference call will be available through April 27, 2015 on the company’s website or by telephone at +1.201.612.7415, replay ID number 13607303.
About Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. (www.checkpoint.com), the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, is the only vendor to deliver Total Security for networks, data and endpoints, unified under a single management framework. Check Point provides customers with uncompromised protection against all types of threats, reduces security complexity and lowers total cost of ownership. Check Point first pioneered the industry with FireWall-1 and its patented stateful inspection technology. Today, Check Point continues to innovate with the development of the Software Blade Architecture™. The dynamic Software Blade Architecture delivers secure, flexible and simple solutions that can be fully customized to meet the exact security needs of any organization or environment. Check Point customers include tens of thousands of businesses and organizations of all sizes including all Fortune 100 companies. Check Point’s award-winning ZoneAlarm solutions protect millions of consumers from hackers, spyware and identity theft.
©2015 Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. All rights reserved
Legal Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Forward-looking statements generally relate to future events or our future financial or operating performance. Forward-looking statements in this press release include, but are not limited to, statements related to our expectations regarding continued expansion of the reach of our security leadership with new technologies to fight the most critical cyber threats. Our expectations and beliefs regarding these matters may not materialize, and actual results in future periods are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. These risks include our ability to continue to develop platform capabilities and solutions; customer acceptance and purchase of our existing solutions and new solutions; the market for IT security continuing to develop; competition from other products and services; and general market, political, economic and business conditions. The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are also subject to other risks and uncertainties, including those more fully described in our filings with the Securities and
Exchange Commission, including our Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 28, 2014. The forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Check Point as of the date hereof, and Check Point disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information
In addition to reporting financial results in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, Check Point uses non-GAAP measures of net income, operating income, operating margin and earnings per share, which are adjustments from results based on GAAP to exclude stock-based compensation charges, amortization of intangible assets and the related tax affects. Check Point’s management believes the non-GAAP financial information provided in this release is useful to investors’ understanding and assessment of Check Point’s ongoing core operations and prospects for the future. Historically, Check Point has also publicly presented these supplemental non-GAAP financial measures in order to assist the investment community to see the Company “through the eyes of management,” and thereby enhance understanding of its operating performance. The presentation of this non-GAAP financial information is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for results prepared in accordance with GAAP. A reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures discussed in this press release to the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures is included with the financial statements contained in this press release. Management uses both GAAP and non-GAAP information in evaluating and operating business internally and as such has determined that it is important to provide this information to investors.